Any time I am feeling confident about my skills and want a challenge, I bust out the dot torture drill. This one will test your pistol marksmanship, your patience and your mental sanity for sure. Take your time and really focus on your sights and make nice controlled trigger presses. Once you are able to run the drill perfectly at the given distances, try moving back a bit or running it for time. A good goal is to complete it all in under five minutes.
The text for the drill below is copied from Pistol-Training.com:
This is a great marksmanship drill that came from David Blinder at personaldefensetraining.com.
Start at 3 yards. You have to get all 50 hits to pass. Once you can shoot the whole drill without a single miss, either increase the distance or add time pressure. For instance, try to finish the entire drill in under 5 minutes while maintaining 100% accuracy.
(click dot-torture-target pdf to bring up the full-size version which you can then print out)
- Dot 1 – Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.
- Dot 2 – Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.
- Dots 3 & 4 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, holster and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.
- Dot 5 – Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.
- Dots 6 & 7 – Draw and fire 2 shots on #6, then 2 on #7, holster, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.
- Dot 8 – From ready or retention, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.
- Dots 9 & 10 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #9, speed reload, fire 1 shot on #10, holster and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.